Skip to main content

President Biden... no I mean Roosevelt

Setting aside the hot gossip of FDR's personal life, the 32nd POTUS started his political career as New York state senator in 1910. Interestingly enough, Roosevelt was recruited by the democratic party because of his relation to the former President. Imagine being begged to become a political figure because of your last name. If the Korean President was a Song, I'd be one of 683,000 recruited to the state senate!

FDR kept climbing his way up and even ran alongside Governor Cox as the Vice-President candidate in the 1920s. In 1928, Hoover won the election. During this time, Roosevelt went to become New York governor. We all know that soon after, the Great Depression hit, and it comes to no one's surprise that people wanted change. I mean take a look at this past year, our economy and unemployment took a hit because of the pandemic. The people wanted change, and people got change... Biden. So history repeats itself because Roosevelt, as a democrat, ended the string of Republican Presidents preceding him.

https://time.com/5904569/joe-biden-fdr/

Take a look at this link from Times! Maybe I should change my major to history--- I'm already making those historical connections. *Patting myself on the back right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gray Area

As we discuss the roles of pictures and words in conveying a story, I become mildly conflicted in several aspects. First, and most obviously, which one does the better job? To me, both forms of storytelling allow for creativity and personal thought. But, while writing is both specific and yet very imagination-based, illustrations tend to be only the latter. A drawing calls for "broader topics" (McCloud 815) of assumptions. And while that may be seen as a good thing, I see it as a source of miscommunication. Because images are open to so many different interpretations, often, the author's intended meaning is not truly understood. Similarly, I regularly find myself wondering if, as readers, we also look too much into the text and find meaning when the author actually had none. What if the author didn't really have a specific theme in mind and just wanted to write an amusing story? Of course, I may just be too simple-minded and unqualified, but I find myself doubting t...

War and Peace

Violence. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as the use of physical force so as to injure, abuse, damage, or destroy. In most ways violence can seem very obvious because of its portrayal in movies, video games, and crime; you picture blood, weapons, and fighting. But there seem to be sources of violence that tend to be less physical.  While looking at an image of a young boy in the arms of, presumably, his father whose head was covered by a bag, it seems that most of us agreed that it isn't  a violent image. In disbelief, Mrs. Valentino exclaimed that it is actually violent. However, in my head, it came across as almost peaceful. Now, I do acknowledge the sadness of this image, but what I really saw was a boy reuniting with his father among the vastness of a desert. There was a stillness that was reflected by the picture instead of the usual chaos that physical violence entails. So what really is violence? We can almost all agree that there should be a line dra...

New Rules...

Rules. They're a set of regulations that we abide by daily. They're meant to create organization, civil conduct, and improvement among society. And it's necessary to enforce these rules so that order and integrity are ensured. But somewhere along the way of enforcing and following these rules, the purpose behind making them has been forgotten. At school, tardies exist to ensure that students are present for the lesson. But when you step into the classroom 30 seconds late (because of the terrible traffic leading up to the school campus), a mere four days of the ten weeks of a quarter, you are expected to spend several hours sitting idly for detention. The advisors tell you, "this will teach you to be punctual." But does it really make sense to be punished for multiple hours for missing a grand total of two minutes of your first period where class hasn't even really begun? Or when your teacher plays a movie because the school year is practically over, and yo...