Skip to main content

Where It All Began

Franklin D. Roosevelt was born in New York on January 30, 1982. He was born to two very wealthy families, through which he had the luxury of meeting President Grover Cleveland, becoming conversant in German and French, and attending boarding school in Massachusetts. Needless to say, his success was not coincidental.

As much as today's political and activist climate is wary of privilege, we actually see Roosevelt as a giver- a face of welfare. So although many would look at FDR's past as an unfair advantage, his good works offset that disapproval. In fact, his Christian boarding school emphasized serving the less fortunate. An altruistic man with resources--what more can we ask for?

Unsurprisingly this President went to Harvard, during which his distant cousin Theodore Roosevelt became President. He's truly a man of connections. Not only did he become influenced by Teddy Roosevelt, but he was also influenced by Teddy's niece! In fact, FDR got married to his distant cousin, Eleanor Roosevelt. Despite the common belief about their relationship, word got out that Franklin had several affairs. I guess he was just too good to be true.

A misleading marriage

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gray Area

As we discuss the roles of pictures and words in conveying a story, I become mildly conflicted in several aspects. First, and most obviously, which one does the better job? To me, both forms of storytelling allow for creativity and personal thought. But, while writing is both specific and yet very imagination-based, illustrations tend to be only the latter. A drawing calls for "broader topics" (McCloud 815) of assumptions. And while that may be seen as a good thing, I see it as a source of miscommunication. Because images are open to so many different interpretations, often, the author's intended meaning is not truly understood. Similarly, I regularly find myself wondering if, as readers, we also look too much into the text and find meaning when the author actually had none. What if the author didn't really have a specific theme in mind and just wanted to write an amusing story? Of course, I may just be too simple-minded and unqualified, but I find myself doubting t...

Never Let Anyone Dull your Sparkle! (unless you're the 1920s)

Knowing that the Great Gatsby is set in the 1920s, I had been looking forward to reading the book for so long. This decade has always fascinated me because of its creation of a new society, which--for the first time in history--is relatable to ours. In my perspective, before the 1920s, history was bleak, the human lifestyle seemed near archaic, and nothing was the slightest bit comparable to the twenty-first century. But at the turn of a new decade, Roaring Twenties brought along the "New Woman" and the birth of mass culture, including a surge of trends and technology. A curtain for my car window? Of course, I'll buy it! However, in the Great Gatsby , I seemed to have forgotten that the book I was reading was about my favorite decade! Where's the excitement and innovation? Why aren't advertisements for the Model-T being shoved in my face? Needless to say, I was underwhelmed! But I don't think I was alone in thinking this. In fact, Fitzgerald's mess...

War and Peace

Violence. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as the use of physical force so as to injure, abuse, damage, or destroy. In most ways violence can seem very obvious because of its portrayal in movies, video games, and crime; you picture blood, weapons, and fighting. But there seem to be sources of violence that tend to be less physical.  While looking at an image of a young boy in the arms of, presumably, his father whose head was covered by a bag, it seems that most of us agreed that it isn't  a violent image. In disbelief, Mrs. Valentino exclaimed that it is actually violent. However, in my head, it came across as almost peaceful. Now, I do acknowledge the sadness of this image, but what I really saw was a boy reuniting with his father among the vastness of a desert. There was a stillness that was reflected by the picture instead of the usual chaos that physical violence entails. So what really is violence? We can almost all agree that there should be a line dra...