Skip to main content

~how i'm feeling~

Empathy. It's one of the traits that make us distinctly human. It's what makes people like us.

Much like making friends, empathizing is also how writers get their readers to root for the protagonist. Take Nea, for example. Reading "Saving Sourdi," we as readers are intentionally left in the oblivion of Sourdi's true situation--much like Nea is. Unlike the dramatic irony, in which our knowledge goes beyond the protagonist's, Chai uses mystery as an unexpected element to fully understand what characters feel. Or in writing our power paragraphs, our perception of Judd Mulvaney's personality and thoughts was so clear--just from a single page. Because instead of just describing Judd as a mature thinker, we're allowed into his mind to see how he thinks. "ONEtwothree. ONEtwothree." Those aren't typically the things that run through children's' thoughts. We'll only believe the extent of his deep personality until we see it explicitly.

Despite empathy being one of the staple traits of being human, I have to admit that it is one of my greatest weaknesses. The only bit of wisdom I can provide is that most of the time, we don't want solutions; we just want someone to listen. The more I deal with these situations, I've realized that people just want others to know how they feel. We crave to share our thoughts and feel less alone in doing so. And although I know this simple fact, I often still feel helpless when it comes to other people's feelings; so, if you have any suggestions on how you empathize with others, please let me know.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading this Sabrina! Your line, "we don't want solutions; we just want someone to listen" is so important. I've had similar thoughts this week about the power of empathy and also how difficult it is to practice it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prepare to be Disappointed

The human mind naturally develops pattern recognition. In psychology, this describes how we make connections between memories and information perceived because our brains want to predict situations from past experiences. Because this behavior is so basic and innate, considering the logic and accuracy of patterns, it seems that we've integrated it into our thinking even when we shouldn't. Throughout our K-12 education, we're taught to analyze characters: what are their key traits? Their conflicts? Their attitudes? And through this, we've gotten into the habit of labeling them and putting them into categories for the convenience of characterizing them. It seems like every character has a distinguished role and a distinguished set of ideals. But in Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, the main character Ifemelu and those around her challenge this way of thinking. In Americanah, central conflicts arise from status--both finance and race-based. Like the rest of the...

Married to Money

Nearly everyone imagines getting married one day. Some girls create a Pinterest board with the perfect dress, venue, and bouquet, while others don't. Regardless of the amount of thought put into it, the majority of people picture having a grand white wedding with all their friends and family--just a happy time. But aside from the obvious fear of commitment and attention, one of the scariest parts of a wedding is paying for it. Sources state that the average wedding costs $38,700. This includes the cost of an engagement ring ($5,000), the ceremony and reception ($29,200), and a honeymoon ($4,500). To put this into perspective, according to the U.S. Census, the average household income in 2018 was $63,179. That means on average, couples spend over 60% of their annual income on a single unrecurring event--and that's being generous considering the fact that new couples make less early on. As Didion criticizes the commercialized nature of American culture, she exemplifies with a...

A Gray Area

As we discuss the roles of pictures and words in conveying a story, I become mildly conflicted in several aspects. First, and most obviously, which one does the better job? To me, both forms of storytelling allow for creativity and personal thought. But, while writing is both specific and yet very imagination-based, illustrations tend to be only the latter. A drawing calls for "broader topics" (McCloud 815) of assumptions. And while that may be seen as a good thing, I see it as a source of miscommunication. Because images are open to so many different interpretations, often, the author's intended meaning is not truly understood. Similarly, I regularly find myself wondering if, as readers, we also look too much into the text and find meaning when the author actually had none. What if the author didn't really have a specific theme in mind and just wanted to write an amusing story? Of course, I may just be too simple-minded and unqualified, but I find myself doubting t...