Skip to main content

Who Knows?

 The only person who knows you as you is yourself. You know your own quirks, your internal monologue, your guilty pleasures. What a shame that everybody misses out on your unique personality! Nobody likes to be called basic, but we all see everyone else apart from ourselves as basic. So, take a look at it, you're probably not as individualistic as you think. 

A better self-introduction than most, our You Know/I know presents the most fun version of ourselves-- the specificities that make you you! Everyone has their own niche interests and preoccupations, and mine include any type of junk food, sustainability, and really groovy music that I can't sing along to. All these obscure topics of interest exist in each person, yet our default impression of people only consists of being quiet, boring, and lacking passion.

I'm sorry if I offended you by being negative and saying you're not that unique. Instead, I mean to point out that we're all the same in the way that we're individualistic yet struggle to convey that. As I meet more and more people, I realize any initial impression of someone is not the person I'll eventually become close to. And although it's frustrating that our charms only come out after comfort and familiarity, that's what makes us complex as humans. As you get to know someone, you get to experience the layers of personality and stages of friendship.

Comments

  1. "As I meet more and more people, I realize any initial impression of someone is not the person I'll eventually become close to." - you're so so right
    This was such an interesting read and really pushes me to want to get to know more people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. “All these obscure topics of interest exist in each person, yet our default impression of people only consists of being quiet, boring, and lacking passion.” I love this sentence because this is exactly how I felt after the They Know/I Know presentations!
    -Olivia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pick Your Poison

 Would you rather find out that your significant other is cheating on you or never find out? Though very far away and presumably irrelevant to your and my current circumstances, this question raises an issue that's not so far from what we know: Is ignorance really bliss? Sure, I typically respond to the opening question by selecting the latter choice of oblivion as I imagine the pain and hassle it entails, but after I contemplate and fight my instinct, I choose the wiser option. The more daunting one. I choose to pop the bubble of ignorance and learn the truth. Let's break it down. Your significant other is cheating on you. This action may be a result of a few reasons, the major being dissatisfaction in the relationship and/or sole disloyalty and a lack of integrity. A cheater is prone to cheating more than once, and if one continues it may just be a sign of bad character. Do you really want to be with someone who isn't committed to you? Someone who doesn't find satisfa

The Fiction of Eye Contact

This picture makes me so  uncomfortable.  While it's eye-opening to find reason behind the normalities of point of view in film, the eye-level shot appears far from normal in my eyes. Is it the purple suit? The hands crossed? Or the specific positioning of the viewer on a table that makes me so uneasy? It's probably a combination of my suspicions, but I've decided that to its core, it's the eye contact that creates my discomfort. Most of these types of shots never reach the extent of eye contact. Instead, the similarity in levels creates a feeling of similarity shared by the character and viewer. There is no power disparity, no difference in viewpoint. Look at Forrest Gump and this eye-level shot (note that he's not looking at you). But once eye contact comes into play, the connection is too strong. Of course, any good producer will aim to form a connection for an audience to a film. However, there's comfort in a screen lying between a film and its viewer. It&#

Welcome Back

Every meeting, email, or letter begins with a greeting. "Good morning," "hello," or "dear *recipient.*" Only once an opening has been made can the intent of communication be addressed. However, though unnecessary in content, such polite phrases serve to transition and maintain friendly relations beyond just solemn work. In Korean, the staple greeting comparable to "hi" or "hello," literally means, how are you? However, no one interprets it that way or responds to the question. Despite not staying true to its meaning, it is a necessary means of easing into the meat of a conversation. Very isolated from the other employees, I often found myself asking for favors or questions at work without saying "hi" or "how are you" first. I noticed I was disrupting their work and disregarding their existence as a person and instead only seeing them as a source of inquiry. By bypassing any greeting, any conversation becomes too a