Skip to main content

The Big Little Efforts

The Coronavirus. Many say it all started with a Chinese man who had consumed bat soup, and it has spread irresponsibly ever since. We've heard stories of travelers from China, Korea, and Italy returning to the United States recklessly infiltrating mass gatherings and most definitely thought of such an action as selfish and rash. The simple solution is to quarantine yourself.

But the reality of avoiding the virus is much more complicated than we say. Quarantining means two weeks of nearly no human interaction and remaining within the few thousand feet of a home. Not only that but quarantining also raises the issue of spreading the virus to family members. Either you become isolated from the rest of the family, which can be incredibly difficult because of the close proximity, or everyone in the family accepts their fate of becoming infected.

However, this dilemma doesn't even consider the challenge of quarantining. Regardless if one were to be doing so out of fear of others or self-containment, staying at home indicates minimal activity and limited human interaction. Can you imagine how suffocating it is to be confined to a limited area without human contact? The terrifying reality is that this could be our future if the virus worsens exponentially. But these torturous measures may ultimately become "futile effort[s]" when others carelessly spread the virus or outside sources unintentionally come into contact with those contained. Our efforts to reduce mass gatherings, interaction, and illness are struggles for survival and health that we can only pray prove effective.

Comments

  1. I find your perspective on quarantining very interesting. I never thought about the challenges that it poses. Two weeks is a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you were able to talk about a topic in which many people have very mixed feelings on. Your belief on quarantining ourselves and how complicated that may be is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister has had to postpone her wedding and canceled it. She was supposed to get married next weekend. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Gray Area

As we discuss the roles of pictures and words in conveying a story, I become mildly conflicted in several aspects. First, and most obviously, which one does the better job? To me, both forms of storytelling allow for creativity and personal thought. But, while writing is both specific and yet very imagination-based, illustrations tend to be only the latter. A drawing calls for "broader topics" (McCloud 815) of assumptions. And while that may be seen as a good thing, I see it as a source of miscommunication. Because images are open to so many different interpretations, often, the author's intended meaning is not truly understood. Similarly, I regularly find myself wondering if, as readers, we also look too much into the text and find meaning when the author actually had none. What if the author didn't really have a specific theme in mind and just wanted to write an amusing story? Of course, I may just be too simple-minded and unqualified, but I find myself doubting t...

Never Let Anyone Dull your Sparkle! (unless you're the 1920s)

Knowing that the Great Gatsby is set in the 1920s, I had been looking forward to reading the book for so long. This decade has always fascinated me because of its creation of a new society, which--for the first time in history--is relatable to ours. In my perspective, before the 1920s, history was bleak, the human lifestyle seemed near archaic, and nothing was the slightest bit comparable to the twenty-first century. But at the turn of a new decade, Roaring Twenties brought along the "New Woman" and the birth of mass culture, including a surge of trends and technology. A curtain for my car window? Of course, I'll buy it! However, in the Great Gatsby , I seemed to have forgotten that the book I was reading was about my favorite decade! Where's the excitement and innovation? Why aren't advertisements for the Model-T being shoved in my face? Needless to say, I was underwhelmed! But I don't think I was alone in thinking this. In fact, Fitzgerald's mess...

New Rules...

Rules. They're a set of regulations that we abide by daily. They're meant to create organization, civil conduct, and improvement among society. And it's necessary to enforce these rules so that order and integrity are ensured. But somewhere along the way of enforcing and following these rules, the purpose behind making them has been forgotten. At school, tardies exist to ensure that students are present for the lesson. But when you step into the classroom 30 seconds late (because of the terrible traffic leading up to the school campus), a mere four days of the ten weeks of a quarter, you are expected to spend several hours sitting idly for detention. The advisors tell you, "this will teach you to be punctual." But does it really make sense to be punished for multiple hours for missing a grand total of two minutes of your first period where class hasn't even really begun? Or when your teacher plays a movie because the school year is practically over, and yo...