Skip to main content

Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Mrs. Smith or Mrs. Jones-Smith. Which is more likely to be the feminist? Tannen points out that "all married women's surnames are marked," and these labels become a factor for judgment, while a male will never be judged for being a Mr. This struck me as the only indisputable form of being "marked" as a woman, yet I soon came to realize that even this may be flawed.

In many Asian cultures, particularly Chinese, women tend to keep their surnames as they get married. And to be perfectly candid, I didn't attribute this to an act of female empowerment, as I would have in Western culture. (Unfortunately, this is where my racial fixedness comes in, but that discussion is for another time.) I assumed this tendency was a tradition and simply a norm in society, making me doubt the validity of using surnames to measure being "marked."

From what I've found, like most cultures, the Chinese have a deeply patriarchal society where the family one is born into is heavily emphasized. In this sense, females keep their maiden names because they "belong to their father" ("Why I'm Keeping My Vietnamese Surname When I Marry"). Not only that, but the New York Times indicates that this difference in the last name also keeps her "an outsider in her husband's family." In fact, the Chinese would think, "doesn't letting a woman take your surname raise her status?"

Although this practice-- or lack of practice, in this case-- doesn't necessarily call for explicit judgments of character, the surname retention may subconsciously lead to sentiments of inferiority as a female. All names indicate something about a person--presumably, their race--but females are further marked for their status.

Comments

  1. Though names usually have 3 Chinese characters, but they also at times have 4, 1st one being their husband's. As like in other oriental cultures, only males, can formally carry on the family name. I think the retention of her own's, is to mark her side of the family's name, in her own personal way out of recognition and respect, more than any other grounds, it's like Hillary Rodham Clinton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you did research and applied the text to your own culture. I do find it interesting that only some parts of the world change their surnames, and I agree that Tannen's argument is flawed in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you incorporated research in your post, I wasn't really aware that other cultures didn't even change their surnames which I found interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a really good job on teaching the reader about Chinese characters and what they mean. Good job

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Gray Area

As we discuss the roles of pictures and words in conveying a story, I become mildly conflicted in several aspects. First, and most obviously, which one does the better job? To me, both forms of storytelling allow for creativity and personal thought. But, while writing is both specific and yet very imagination-based, illustrations tend to be only the latter. A drawing calls for "broader topics" (McCloud 815) of assumptions. And while that may be seen as a good thing, I see it as a source of miscommunication. Because images are open to so many different interpretations, often, the author's intended meaning is not truly understood. Similarly, I regularly find myself wondering if, as readers, we also look too much into the text and find meaning when the author actually had none. What if the author didn't really have a specific theme in mind and just wanted to write an amusing story? Of course, I may just be too simple-minded and unqualified, but I find myself doubting t...

Prepare to be Disappointed

The human mind naturally develops pattern recognition. In psychology, this describes how we make connections between memories and information perceived because our brains want to predict situations from past experiences. Because this behavior is so basic and innate, considering the logic and accuracy of patterns, it seems that we've integrated it into our thinking even when we shouldn't. Throughout our K-12 education, we're taught to analyze characters: what are their key traits? Their conflicts? Their attitudes? And through this, we've gotten into the habit of labeling them and putting them into categories for the convenience of characterizing them. It seems like every character has a distinguished role and a distinguished set of ideals. But in Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, the main character Ifemelu and those around her challenge this way of thinking. In Americanah, central conflicts arise from status--both finance and race-based. Like the rest of the...

War and Peace

Violence. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as the use of physical force so as to injure, abuse, damage, or destroy. In most ways violence can seem very obvious because of its portrayal in movies, video games, and crime; you picture blood, weapons, and fighting. But there seem to be sources of violence that tend to be less physical.  While looking at an image of a young boy in the arms of, presumably, his father whose head was covered by a bag, it seems that most of us agreed that it isn't  a violent image. In disbelief, Mrs. Valentino exclaimed that it is actually violent. However, in my head, it came across as almost peaceful. Now, I do acknowledge the sadness of this image, but what I really saw was a boy reuniting with his father among the vastness of a desert. There was a stillness that was reflected by the picture instead of the usual chaos that physical violence entails. So what really is violence? We can almost all agree that there should be a line dra...