Skip to main content

And More

When it comes to the south and its history, you imagine either some sort of image resembling Little House on the Praire or slavery. Our thinking simply reflects the type of books we read. Historical southern fiction either portrays "refined, whitewashed folklore" (Sugar) or a slave's laborious and torturous living hell. We hardly see an in-between. So then what's the true story?

In 1811, on the German Coast in Louisana, the largest slave uprising in U.S. history occurred. In fact, "the execution tally was nearly twice as high as the number in Nat Turner's rebellion." Then why, you may ask, have we never heard of it? At the time, official reports of the incident described it as a band of "brigades," knowing that the reality of a well-organized slave revolt would be a threat to the institution ("How a Nearly Successful Slave Revolt Was Intentionally Lost to History"). And I have no doubts that cover-ups like this have occurred a numerous amount of times in history. But it's also wrong to say that all southern fiction or even non-fiction is deliberately romanticized and corrupted.

The picture-perfect white life we read about isn't a cover-up. Lots of people lived like that: with fancy houses, acres of land, and servants to cater to their every need. And often times, these residents didn't have to see the brutality that slaves lived in. So it's not wrong that books depict southern history in such a way, but it's necessary that as readers, we realize that glorified plantation life was not the common experience. There's always more to it.

Comments

  1. I really liked the stance you took on your claim. Personally, I had never really stopped to think about how many whites actually lived as they are portrayed to in all the novels during that time period. I also think you did a very nice job using outside sources to help explain and support your position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this was so interesting and well written. I'm so surprised that we never heard of that slave revolt - did Brinkley lie to us!? I love your sentence about how as readers we need to recognize that there's always more to it. Oftentimes, the books we read are simply reflections of an author's bias or life experiences, but in fiction especially, we can't recognize it because we assume that it's just a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! this was amazing, i like how you touched upon perspective. School textbooks often cannot put in such graphic and violent images and words; they are only able to touch upon the horrors of what truly happened, but just because it is not explicitly written down does not mean that we should remain ignorant to all the suffering that people have experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you said that the picture perfect white life is not a coverup. I guess I never really realized that the way whites lived was actually a pretty accurate portrayal during that time period in history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, wow. This was very well written. I love how you compared our individual thought processes to the books we read. I found it very interesting that we've never heard of that uprising that nearly succeeded. Your blogs are always a good read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Fiction of Eye Contact

This picture makes me so  uncomfortable.  While it's eye-opening to find reason behind the normalities of point of view in film, the eye-level shot appears far from normal in my eyes. Is it the purple suit? The hands crossed? Or the specific positioning of the viewer on a table that makes me so uneasy? It's probably a combination of my suspicions, but I've decided that to its core, it's the eye contact that creates my discomfort. Most of these types of shots never reach the extent of eye contact. Instead, the similarity in levels creates a feeling of similarity shared by the character and viewer. There is no power disparity, no difference in viewpoint. Look at Forrest Gump and this eye-level shot (note that he's not looking at you). But once eye contact comes into play, the connection is too strong. Of course, any good producer will aim to form a connection for an audience to a film. However, there's comfort in a screen lying between a film and its viewer. It&#

Welcome Back

Every meeting, email, or letter begins with a greeting. "Good morning," "hello," or "dear *recipient.*" Only once an opening has been made can the intent of communication be addressed. However, though unnecessary in content, such polite phrases serve to transition and maintain friendly relations beyond just solemn work. In Korean, the staple greeting comparable to "hi" or "hello," literally means, how are you? However, no one interprets it that way or responds to the question. Despite not staying true to its meaning, it is a necessary means of easing into the meat of a conversation. Very isolated from the other employees, I often found myself asking for favors or questions at work without saying "hi" or "how are you" first. I noticed I was disrupting their work and disregarding their existence as a person and instead only seeing them as a source of inquiry. By bypassing any greeting, any conversation becomes too a

Some Self-Reflection for a Second Semester Senior

Despite being in AP Lit and not AP Lang, I've written more in the past four months than I've ever written in my life. That comes to no one's surprise, though. It was college application season! Yes, I wouldn't call it exactly enjoyable , but, in retrospect, I look at this experience with excitement. Let me say, I used to fear  essays. I feared writing. I feared racking through my mind to describe thoughts with words that didn't quite suffice. Just the thought of a paper planted a pit of dread in my stomach. But thanks to this blog, I've found my voice and inevitably developed it as I shared about myself with colleges that don't even know my face. I've channeled my genuine sentiments and expressed them through the nuances of each word, something I couldn't do just five months ago.  With prompts dumbfounding me, I was forced to scrutinize my personality and conjure a character for myself. And to my surprise, I got creative. I stretched trivial traits i