Skip to main content

New Rules...

Rules. They're a set of regulations that we abide by daily. They're meant to create organization, civil conduct, and improvement among society. And it's necessary to enforce these rules so that order and integrity are ensured.

But somewhere along the way of enforcing and following these rules, the purpose behind making them has been forgotten. At school, tardies exist to ensure that students are present for the lesson. But when you step into the classroom 30 seconds late (because of the terrible traffic leading up to the school campus), a mere four days of the ten weeks of a quarter, you are expected to spend several hours sitting idly for detention. The advisors tell you, "this will teach you to be punctual." But does it really make sense to be punished for multiple hours for missing a grand total of two minutes of your first period where class hasn't even really begun?

Or when your teacher plays a movie because the school year is practically over, and you fall asleep. You get in trouble and "lose a part of your participation grade." Again! Why do you suffer for not watching a movie that is simply played because there's nothing to do?. Your teacher's not watching it either. Nor is the movie going to "further your education." So why is it that you're getting in trouble?!

Although this may just be a rant of the instances where I've (wrongfully) gotten in trouble, I rant for a reason! I fully acknowledge that students can't just get to school late to sleep in, or that students shouldn't sleep during lessons. But when these situations differ, rules should too! Too often, we focus on doing things because we have to and because there's "right and wrong" (Thoreau 384) But really, we should start to think about why we should be doing these things.

If you think about it, rules are so variable. One teacher might allow phones in her classroom, while another might not. This just shows you how rules differ because they're supposed to be motivated by genuine goodness, instead of seeking to punish. It's crazy how applicable Civil Disobedience is in this modern setting, but like Thoreau says, "we should be men first, and subjects [of rules] afterward" (Thoreau 384).

Comments

  1. I like you bringing up these moments because I remember laughing at both of them, especially when you got a saturday school *skull "im dead" emoji* because it was so unlike your character. Also putting these events together really highlights how irrelevant and nit-picky school rules can be, to me it shows a certain laziness within teachers and administration that doesn't actually care about good conduct. Honestly I think when u got slightly told off for "sleeping" during one of those movie days and you were literally just kind of resting ur head that is bad conduct itself. ok have a nic day sab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lmao does the title of your blog allude to the Dua Lipa song

      Delete
    2. yes...😌and this is our new form of communication

      Delete
    3. wtf (meaning what the fart, this is still a school assignment) im so jealous of that emoji? do i smell mobile version? or u care enough abt ur bb to copy paste

      Delete
  2. I really liked how you tied the article in to understandable school events that happen and tend to accumulate tardies over time. Like for me, I get tardies when my bus comes late and I have to print something in the morning because I don't have a printer. Or when you have to use the restroom in passing time and you get a tardy for not going to class on time. I also liked your quote selection you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you incorporated real-life examples in which "Civil Disobedience" relates to. I agree that rules should be variable based on the situations we are presented with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang this is amazing and so relatable I've already finished my two comments for the week but now I want to rant also. So like rules are supposed to encourage and enforce good behavior right? Except rigid, unchanging rules that don't take into account the circumstances never achieve this. Cheaters will still find loopholes and honest people like most of us here suffer for no reason. I'd say one example of this is the new Inner View system for Project Lead. Ok I get it they want me to post a picture every time I do something to make sure I actually do it. But a cheater could go to a 5-hour event for 5 minutes and still claim they were there. Meanwhile, I'm at home, making coaching materials for the Boulan Park math team, and I prefer to spread out the work over multiple days because more than two or three hours a day just doesn't work lol. And as a result I'll have to post dozens of pictures of myself working in front of the computer and turn in dozens of point slips each worth like half an hour like bruh what???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved this piece, especially the instance where you were penalized for falling asleep, something I'm sure many, many students can relate to. It is important to understand how such "consequences" and "this is for the greater good"s don't have the impact others may want them to have, and how creating a cycle of rules for no genuine reason is not necessary; if anything, it can be harmful to the mindset we may obtain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Fiction of Eye Contact

This picture makes me so  uncomfortable.  While it's eye-opening to find reason behind the normalities of point of view in film, the eye-level shot appears far from normal in my eyes. Is it the purple suit? The hands crossed? Or the specific positioning of the viewer on a table that makes me so uneasy? It's probably a combination of my suspicions, but I've decided that to its core, it's the eye contact that creates my discomfort. Most of these types of shots never reach the extent of eye contact. Instead, the similarity in levels creates a feeling of similarity shared by the character and viewer. There is no power disparity, no difference in viewpoint. Look at Forrest Gump and this eye-level shot (note that he's not looking at you). But once eye contact comes into play, the connection is too strong. Of course, any good producer will aim to form a connection for an audience to a film. However, there's comfort in a screen lying between a film and its viewer. It&#

Welcome Back

Every meeting, email, or letter begins with a greeting. "Good morning," "hello," or "dear *recipient.*" Only once an opening has been made can the intent of communication be addressed. However, though unnecessary in content, such polite phrases serve to transition and maintain friendly relations beyond just solemn work. In Korean, the staple greeting comparable to "hi" or "hello," literally means, how are you? However, no one interprets it that way or responds to the question. Despite not staying true to its meaning, it is a necessary means of easing into the meat of a conversation. Very isolated from the other employees, I often found myself asking for favors or questions at work without saying "hi" or "how are you" first. I noticed I was disrupting their work and disregarding their existence as a person and instead only seeing them as a source of inquiry. By bypassing any greeting, any conversation becomes too a

Some Self-Reflection for a Second Semester Senior

Despite being in AP Lit and not AP Lang, I've written more in the past four months than I've ever written in my life. That comes to no one's surprise, though. It was college application season! Yes, I wouldn't call it exactly enjoyable , but, in retrospect, I look at this experience with excitement. Let me say, I used to fear  essays. I feared writing. I feared racking through my mind to describe thoughts with words that didn't quite suffice. Just the thought of a paper planted a pit of dread in my stomach. But thanks to this blog, I've found my voice and inevitably developed it as I shared about myself with colleges that don't even know my face. I've channeled my genuine sentiments and expressed them through the nuances of each word, something I couldn't do just five months ago.  With prompts dumbfounding me, I was forced to scrutinize my personality and conjure a character for myself. And to my surprise, I got creative. I stretched trivial traits i